Everybody wants to rank their website higher on SERP but a few are able to. With bloggers increasing day by day google is getting strict about how it ranks any website on its result over past years many changes have taken place in the algorithms of Google and it keeps updating them regularly. Today in this blog we are going to discuss On-page optimization and the latest changes that have been made by Google recently to rank any website on its result page.
What is on-page optimization?
On-page SEO is a technique used in search engine optimization that focuses on making the content of the webpage easily understandable by the searchers and search engine bots. This includes optimizing the content of the webpage, meta tags such as meta title and description, heading tags, etc.
A webpage that is effectively optimized not only SEO friendly but also it is user-friendly.
Importance of on-page SEO:-
To understand this lets first discuss how a search engine works
Search engines make use of 3 processes
- Crawling– In layman’s terms, crawling means following a path. in the digital world, it is the process in which the search engine sends its bots over the page for tracking purposes and then these bots analyze the content of the webpage and also checks for any external or internal links.
- Indexing– After crawling is done, a copy of the crawled page is submitted to the search engine database this process is indexing.
- Ranking-it is the process of providing the best and relevant content to the searcher’s query. It organizes the content on the SERP from most relevant to least relevant.
Now, coming to our main question why do we need on-page SEO
The answer to this is whenever the bots crawl our webpage they also check for quality and relevancy of the content.
Through on-page optimization search engines can easily identify our target keywords, it makes it believe that our content is relevant to the query asked and this makes our website rank higher on the SERP.
But relevancy is not only the factor that makes our content rank higher. But the quality of the content also has a role to play in this.
So what all needs to be done in on-page SEO?
While doing on-page SEO there are certain methods that need to be followed, these are as follows:-
- Simplified User Experience- Everything is about the look and feel of your website the better it is the better response you’ll get from the user. For this, make sure that your website is responsive. A professional layout combined with the good color combination can give a good user experience.
- Add call to actions- this will increase the chances that the user will spend more time on your website. If the user doesn’t spend time on your website and hit the back button quickly this will affect your bounce rate which will automatically affect your ranking in a bad way.
- Create good content- As I always say “Content is the King”. In this digital world, content is the key to success, A good content has the power to make you a star overnight. Where bad content will take you nowhere so always make sure that you write good and interesting content.
Before starting on-page optimization one should make sure to do these two things
- Keyword Research
- Competitor Analysis
These techniques should be followed while optimizing your blog post
Optimize your meta title–
This is the first thing that a user sees, and that makes it the most important factor for on-page SEO. Making your title more attractive and optimized increases its chances to be clicked more frequently which generally results in higher ranking. Your meta title should not be more than 65 characters.
Make sure to remove stop words from your permalink and include your target keyword in it. Also keep a check on the length of the permalink it shouldn’t be too long.
using different heading tags make your content structured and is always good for SEO purpose. There are various heading tags available such as H1, H2, H3 and so on.
Note: Excess usage of h2 and h3 tags creates a problem with google algorithms.
Avoid keyword stuffing–
Don’t just write your content with a mindset to just stuff keywords as many times as you can, your content should make some sense.
Google is way smarter than we think, its algorithm can easily identify if keyword stuffing is there or not.
Optimize your meta description–
The meta description gives searchers an idea about what’s there in your website. So keep it as simple and informative as you can and also make sure that it is under 135 character length.
Always use your targeted keyword as an image title and in the alt text of the image. Make sure that your image is not too large as it will increase the loading speed of the website and thus, this will affect its google rank.
Check your word count per post–
use short sentences no one likes to read long sentences it makes the blog or article boring.
Addition of schema–
It is one of the techniques that many experts use but not by beginners as it stands untold or explored. For eg. having your email address or mobile no. on the footer of your blog adds to the credibility of your blog. Another example is star rating in the meta description of your snippet increase trust of the user and makes the user click it.
it keeps the user engaged in your website and this increases the session duration of your website and as a result your ranking increases.
How do I maintain the quality of my content?
Most people out there focus only on keyword insertion and often keep aside another main factor for ranking. i.e. quality of the content and eventually fail to rank their website on the result page.
For a website post to rank higher quality of the content should also be maintained this can be done by following ways
- Avoid keyword stuffing
- Always keep in mind what searchers want to read
- Always use keywords in the first 100 words of your article
- Write engaging content, ask your readers questions
and try to answer them in your post.
- Structure your content, make use of heading tags.
- Write your blogs more in passive voice than active voice
- Make sure the length of your sentences are not too long to read
- Always highlight the main points
- Always ask the user to any action on your post(ask them to comment on their opinion.)
Pro tip: While doing on-page optimization always try to place the keywords at the starting or at the end of sentences(i.e. Prefer to keep them in corners of your content)